Siskind Susser

Green Card LotteryABCs of ImmigrationHiring A LawyerHealth Care Info CenterImmigration SitesFashion, Arts & / Sports Newsletter

Siskind Immigration Bulletin Request Consultation Ask Visalaw Client Login
About the Firm
Our Offices
Our Team
In the News
Practice Areas and Services
Scheduling a Consultation
ABCs of Immigration
Requests For Proposals
Press Room

Immigration Forms
Government Processing Times
State Department Visa Bulletin
Siskind's Immigration Professional
Working in America
Washington Updates
The Visalaw Blog



< back

The ABC’s of Immigration: Military Service

Are immigrants required to be available for military service?

Since World War I, immigrants to the US have been required to be available for military service. Nonimmigrants, those people who are in the US for a temporary period of time, do not have this obligation, but permanent residents, refugees, parolees and even undocumented immigrants do. Registration is required upon reaching the age of 18 or before reaching the age of 26 if entering and taking up residence in the US when older than 18. During times of peace, however, only citizens and permanent residents may volunteer for military service. As with all male citizens born after 1959, permanent residents must register with Selective Services when they turn 18, or at the time that they obtain their permanent residency if they are under age 26. Those who obtain permanent residency after age 26 are not required to register. Failure to properly register could lead to criminal punishment, and can also lead to denial of future immigration or naturalization benefits.

Can I leave the US in order to avoid serving in the military?

Leaving the US to avoid military service, or desertion from the military, will make a person permanently ineligible for citizenship. In addition to this, being ineligible for citizenship is a basis upon which to deny a person admission to the US. Immigrants can obtain an exemption from the military service requirement on the ground that they are not citizens, but doing so will render them permanently ineligible for citizenship, unless the exemption was obtained under a treaty, and before seeking the exemption the immigrant had served in the military of their home country.

Can immigrants receive immigration benefits as a result of their military service?

Just as failure to abide by the Selective Service laws can result in a denial of future benefits, performing military service can produce benefits. People who have served for a total of three years in the US military and who, if no longer in the military, were honorably discharged, are exempted from standard residency requirements if the naturalization application is filed while still in the military or within six months of discharge.

Immigrants who served on active duty during World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and other military conflicts are also exempt from the residency requirements, and may be naturalized regardless of their age. Permanent residents who died while serving in the US military are eligible for posthumous naturalization if the application is filed no more than two years after their death. Immigrants on active duty are not deportable under a special agreement between USCIS and the Department of Defense. Moreover, in many of these cases, the immigrant is given the opportunity to seek naturalization before USCIS initiates deportation proceedings.

Finally, at many times in the past, ceremonies have been held to naturalize permanent resident military personnel before they were sent overseas.

Can people who lack green cards join the military?

While all immigrants – legal or undocumented, are obligated to register with Selective Service, it is actually pretty difficult to join the military if you lack a green card or are not a citizen or asylees. The military is not supposed to accept undocumented individuals (though we are aware of a number of cases where undocumented immigrants made it into the military anyway) and none of the branches sponsor individuals for non-immigrant or immigrant status (with some minor exceptions).

Whether Congress and the military will relax its position in the wake of falling recruiting numbers remains to be seen.

< Back | Index | Next >

Print This Page

Disclaimer: This newsletter is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk.

Siskind Susser Bland
1028 Oakhaven Rd.
Memphis, TN 38119
T. 800-343-4890 or 901-682-6455
F. 901-682-6394

Home | Immigration Bulletin | Green Card Lottery Center | ABCs of Immigration | Hiring A Lawyer
Hot Topics | Health Care Info Center | Immigration Sites | Search

This is an advertisement. Certification as an Immigration Specialist is not currently available in Tennessee. Siskind Susser Bland limits its practice strictly to immigration law, a Federal practice area, and we do not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. Siskind Susser Bland does not retain clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures (e.g. interviews, conflict checks, retainer agreements). The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information on this site. Siskind Susser Bland and its advertisers are independent of each other and advertisers on this site are not being endorsed by Siskind Susser Bland by virtue of the fact that they appear on this page. Site is maintained by Siskind Susser Bland's Memphis, TN office and overseen by Gregory Siskind. Copyright © 2003-2006 Siskind Susser Bland. All rights reserved.