

MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
| |
|
|
|
International Roundup
Plans to make families pay a cash bond for relatives who visit from outside the EU have been dropped, according to BBC. Instead there will be heavy fines or the threat of jail if family members overstay, he told the Asian Network. Proposals to make families pay a £1,000 deposit for visiting relatives to ensure they left the UK on time were unveiled in December last year. Immigration Minister Liam Byrne said the government had now concluded the idea would not work.
The communities likely to be affected told the government it would hit poor families and fail to deter illegal immigrants. "What people said was look, if someone wants to flout the immigration rules they'll be more than happy to put up £1,000," Mr. Byrne said. "On the other hand, people said for family weddings and so on you've got to sponsor all the people and people are just not going to have that kind of money - so what we want to do is have a new system but punish people if things go wrong."
Rather than asking from money upfront, Mr Byrne said, the government now wanted to "make sure that we can just hit people and hit people hard if their family member breaks the rules." The plans - which also include cutting the length of time visitors can remain in the UK from six months to three - were attacked at the time as 'unfair' by immigrant groups.
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said: "Ministers have simply replaced the punitive bonds scheme with unnecessary threats to poor families. Instead of penalizing family visits, the government should start looking at the bigger picture on border security. At a stroke, the reintroduction of exit checks would have a far greater impact on illegal immigration than any amount of bullying of immigrant families."
***** The Associated Press reports that this week, police in several European countries detained at least 50 people suspected of funneling illegal immigrants, mainly Iraqi Kurds, into Northern Europe . The sweep, called Operation Baghdad, was the result of a multi-country investigation into a complex people-smuggling ring believed to have brought hundreds of people from Iraq , Afghanistan and elsewhere to Scandinavian countries, Britain and Ireland in recent years.
The largest number of arrests Monday were in France : the Paris prosecutor's office said police dismantled a smuggling ring and arrested 24 people in Paris and other French towns and cities.
It said in a statement that the investigation uncovered a 'well-structured transnational cell,' and police in eight other European countries — Germany , Belgium , Britain , Greece , Ireland , Norway , Netherlands and Sweden — had also detained people believed linked to the ring.
Most of the immigrants were Iraqi Kurds, but there also were people from Afghanistan , China , Turkey and Bangladesh , the French statement said. The Iraqi immigrants were generally taken through Turkey and several southern European countries and on to Scandinavia .
The would-be immigrants paid between €6,500 and €13,000 ($9,300 and $21,000) to be brought to Europe , according to French and German authorities. The suspects accused of operating the ring ranged in age from their late teens to their 50s, and included people from Iraq , Turkey , and Morocco . Most were men. The alleged leader of the German operation was a 28-year-old Iraqi citizen living in Wuppertal .
< Back | Index | Next >
Print This Page
Disclaimer: This newsletter is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. | |
 |