CONSULAR FOCUS: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
Telephone Numbers: (55)(21) 292-7117 x2000, (55)(21) 220-0439
Consulado Geral Americano
Avenida Presidente Wilson, 147 - Castelo
CEP 20030-020, Rio de Janeiro - RJ
If you are writing from the US, send mail to this address:
APO AA 34030
The Nonimmigrant visa section responds to telephone calls throughout the day. The Immigrant visa section accepts call between 8:30 am and 10:30 am Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Nonimmigrant visas applications are accepted between 8:00 am to 11:00 am Monday through Friday. Appointments are not given and only applicants who are in line prior to 11:00 am are processed each day. Visas must be applied for in person or, for tourist visas, via an authorized travel agency. If the applicant intends to travel to the US within 15 days of submitting the application, the visa applicant must apply personally. Visa interviews are frequently waived, especally for B visas.
There are no limits on the number of times or the frequency of applying for nonimmigrant visas.
Visa fees for H or L visas for Brazilian nationals are 0. The B-1 visa fee is . There is no charge for B-2 tourist visas. Only case payments are accepted.
There must remain two blank pages in addition to the last two pages of the passport or the passport will have to be renewed before a visa will be issued.
Immigrant Visas submitted by US citizens for family members are accepted between 1:30 and 3:30 Monday through Friday. After receiving Packet 3, appointments are normally issued within a month. The post will issue a Packet 3 to an applicant upon receiving a cable from the INS without waiting for the National Visa Center to take action. The visa fee totals 0.
Medical Exams may be received at the following locations:
- ARACAJU - Dr. Jose Augusto Barreto, Hospital e Clinica Sao Lucas, Av. S Silveira, 33 - 49000, telephone: (079) 224-6361.
- BELGEM - Dr. Harold Pinheiro, Rua Alm Wandenkolk. 469, 66030, telephone: (091) 223-5971.
- BELO HORIZONTE - Dr. Joaquim Romeu Cancado, Rua dos Otoni, 927, 60 andar 30150, telephone: (031) 224-2331.
- BRASILIA - Dr. Francisco Airton B. de Oliveira, Ed das Clinicas, SMHN-Quadra 2, Bloco A, sala 201/202, 70710, telephone: (061)224-5679
Dr. Francisco Martino, Casa de Saude Lucia, SHLS-Q 716, Bloco F, sala 503, 70390, telephone: (061) 245-1000, (061)245-3344
Dr. Sylvio Pereira de Jesus, Centro Santa Genoveva, Rua de Concordia, 1, 74410, telephone: (062) 202-1144, (062) 202-1000
- PORTO ALEGRE - Dr. Carlos Brenner, Av. Salgado Filho, 28-sala 902, 90010, telephone: (051)224-3213 Dr. Leo Weiss, Av Ipiranga, 1801-sala 757, 90060, telephone: (051)223-1755
- RECIFE - Dr. Jose A. Queiroga, Av Cons. Aguiar, 1092, Boa Viagem-51021, telephone: (081)325-3686 Dr. Paulo de Aleida, Rua da Hora, 692, Espinheiro-52020, telephone: (081)231-0104, 231-6013, 222-5724.