Bruce E. Buchanan
Bruce E. Buchanan is an attorney at the Nashville Office of Siskind Susser, P.C. He represents individuals and employers in all aspects of immigration law as well as employment/labor law.
Mr. Buchanan received his law degree from the Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1982 and his undergraduate degree in 1979 from Florida State University, where he graduated magna cum laude. Mr. Buchanan served as senior trial specialist for the National Labor Relations Board for 20 years. He has also served from 1991 to 2003 as Adjunct Professor at William H. Bowen UALR School of Law, where he taught courses in Labor Law, Employment Law, and Sports Law. Mr. Buchanan has been in private practice since 2003.
Mr. Buchanan is past-chair of the Tennessee Bar Association's Immigration Law Section as well as the editor of TBA's Labor and Employment Law Section Newsletter and the TBA's Immigration Law Section Newsletter. Mr. Buchanan writes a blog on employer immigration compliance located at http://blogs.ilw.com/immigrationcompliance/. He is also a guest blogger on similar issues for LawLogix, located at http://www.lawlogix.com/electronic-i9/.
He is a frequent speaker at seminars on a variety of topics, including Immigration Compliance, Immigration Law, the National Labor Relations Act, FMLA, and Fair Labor Standards Act. He has authored numerous articles in magazines and on-line publications in the areas of immigration law, NLRB decisions, and pending federal legislation.
Mr. Buchanan is a member of American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). He serves on the Board of Directors for the Nashville International Center for Empowerment (NICE) and the United Cerebral Palsy of Middle Tennessee. Mr. Buchanan is an officer with the Middle Tennessee Seminole Club.
Mr. Buchanan is admitted to practice in Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas, before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, and D.C. Circuit and before the U.S. District Courts for the Middle District of Tennessee and the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas.
1. 2012 OCAHO Decisions – Trends Every Employer Should Know, I-9 and E-Verify Blog, January 31, 2013, http://www.lawlogix.com/electronic-i9/i-9/2012-ocaho-decisions-trends-every-employer-should-know/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2012-ocaho-decisions-trends-every-employer-should-know
2. Will more States Pass E-Verify Legislation?, TBA Immigration Law Section Newsletter; January 2013
3. OCAHO on a Roll, Reduces More I-9 Penalty Amounts, I-9 and E-Verify Blog, December 13, 2012, http://www.lawlogix.com/electronic-i9/enforcement/ocaho-on-a-roll-reduces-more-penalty-amounts/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ocaho-on-a-roll-reduces-more-penalty-amounts
4. Are You Ready for the Full Implementation of Tennessee’s E-Verify Law?, TBA Immigration Law Section Newsletter, November 2012
5. How to De-ICE Your Business, Employment Law Strategist, October 2012
6. NLRB'S Assault on Social Media, TBA Labor & Employment Law Section Newsletter, October 2012
7. President Obama Provides Hope for DREAMers, TBA Immigration Law Section Newsletter, July 2012
8. DREAMers – Potential Problems in I-9 Compliance, TBA Labor & Employment Law Section Newsletter, July 2012
9. ICE Fines Company $2 Million; E-verify and I-9 News; April 2012, http://everifyandi9news.com/2012/04/ice-fines-company-2-million/
10. How are ICE Fines Calculated; E-verify and I-9 News; November 2011, http://everifyandi9news.com/2011/11/how-are-ice-fines-calculated-%e2%80%93-ice-vs-ocaho/
11. Tennessee Lawful Employment Act – What it Means and What’s Ahead; E-Verify and I-9 News; October 2011, http://everifyandi9news.com/2011/10/tennessee-lawful-employment-act-%e2%80%93-what-it-means-and-what%e2%80%99s-ahead/
12. Judge Fines Company $173,250 after ICE Audit; Immigration Daily; October 2011, http://www.ilw.com/articles/2011,1018-buchanan.shtm
13. Tennessee Legislature Passes “Non-Mandatory” E-Verify Law; Immigration Daily; June 2011, http://www.ilw.com/articles/2011,0602-buchanan.shtm
14. Legislature Passes “Non-Mandatory” E-Verify Law; The Tennessee Insuror; May/June 2011
15. USCIS Issues New and Improved I-9 Handbook; Tennessee Bar Association Immigration Law Section Newsletter; March 2011, http://www.tba.org/sites/default/files/immigration_0311.pdf
16. BIA Finds Admission Requires Only Procedural Regularity; TBA Immigration Law Section Newsletter; November 2010, http://www.tba.org/sites/default/files/immigration_1110.pdf
17. Two Simple Drug Possession Convictions Don’t Equal Aggravated Felony; TBA Immigration Law Section Newsletter; July 2010, http://www.tba.org/sites/default/files/immigration_0710.pdf
1. “Tennessee’s E-Verify Law”, Tennessee Bar Association webcast, January 2013.
2. “Tennessee’s E-Verify Law”, Middle Tennessee SHRM Webinar, December 2012.
3. “Tennessee’s E-Verify Law”, Mid-Tennessee Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC), November 2012.
4. “Insight from NLRB on Social Media”, Tennessee Bar Association webcasts, October 2012.
5. “Annual Entertainment Mid-Year Review”, Nashville Bar Association, August 2012.
6. “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals”, Tennessee Bar Association/JFON, August 2012.
7. “Social Media – The Good, the Bad, the Ugly”, Mid-Tennessee Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC), July 2012.
8. “Your 2011 To-Do List – Immigration Compliance”, King & Ballow Breakfast Briefing, January 2011.
9. "NLRB Decisions - 2011 to Present," TBA Labor & Employment Law Section Forum, April 2012.
10. “Immigration Compliance for Employers”, Guest Lecturer, University of Arkansas School of Law, April 2012.
11. “E-Verify and the Tennessee Lawful Employment Act”, Tennessee Bar Association Online CLE Course, March 2012.
12. “NLRB’s Expanding Agenda”, Sterling Education Services, March 2012.
13. “Immigration Compliance for Employers”, Sterling Education Services, March 2012.
14. “Employments Rights”, TBA General Practice Boot Camp and TBA Online CLE Course, August 2011.
15. “Union Update 2011 and Labor Board Issues”, TBA Labor & Employment Law Forum and TBA Online CLE Course, April 2011.
16. “Immigration Compliance for Employers”, Guest Lecturer, University of Arkansas School of Law, March 2011.
17. “Apprenticeship and Prevailing Wage”, Mid-Tennessee Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors, February 2011.
18. "Know Your Immigration Legal Rights", TBA, December 2010.
19. "Ethical Issues and Immigration Clients", TBA Online CLE Course, November 2010.
20. "Hot Legal Issues in International Business Transactions", TBA Online CLE Course, October 2010.
21. "HR Issues", Federated Electrical Contractors, September 2010.
22. "Immigration Law Compliance - What You Need to Know", Mid-Tennessee Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors, August 2010.
23. "Immigration Reform", Nashville Task Force for Immigration & Refugees, June 2010.
24. "Employment Law for the Non-Employment Lawyer", TBA Online CLE Course, April 2010.