A
Federal Court of Canada ruling issued Friday states that Citizenship and
Immigration Canada misled and ignored Parliament last year. The federal ministry
failed to process a backlog of immigration applicants desperate to get into
Canada
before
strict new standards became policy, according to the decision.
Justice
Michael Kelen's ruling will give 102 people a fresh chance to enter
Canada
and could
force the government to reconsider 100,000 others who were disadvantaged by
CIS's ineptitude, critics said.
Vancouver
immigration lawyer Richard Kurland said he would launch a lawsuit to force the
government to reconsider the applicants or pay them a total of at least $100
million in damages.
Canadian
Alliance immigration critic Diane Ablonczy called for the resignation of
Immigration Minister Denis Coderre.
Last
year Coderre announced that the government would extend the deadline for
processing the applicants to March of 2003. The extension was passed under an
assumption of the backlog being 30,000 applicants by the first of the year, but
evidence established that there will be between 80,000 and 120,000 outstanding
at the end of March, Justice Kelen wrote, and the department failed to inform
Parliament of the error when it became evident.
***
Asylum
seekers entering
Britain
increased
in number by 20% to about 110,000 last year, the highest ever recorded,
according to Home Office statistics published this week. Despite their attempts
to bring the crisis under control, the government has failed to stop the numbers
from increasing. The figures will prove troubling to Prime Minister Tony Blair,
who promised the numbers would be halved by September. His plan was to cut the
social security payments to half the asylum seekers, but the high court ruled
the law broke the European convention on human rights. One of the factors
contributing to the double digit increase is the number of those coming from
Iraq
, making
up 19% of the total number of asylum seekers in the third quarter.
***
Mohammad
Ihsan Mutmain, a former Taliban government official with links to Mullah
Mohammed Omar, has been living in
Britain
for
nearly two years after being granted asylum by the Home Office. Mutmain is a
former kung fu champion who served on
Afghanistan
's Olympic
committee and obtained a visa by claiming he was taking part in a sports
competition there. He applied for refugee status upon arrival. Mutmain is one of
five people who were a part of the Taliban regime and have been given permission
to stay in
Britain
. Members
of the transitional Afghan government have expressed their disappointment with
the Home Office for giving sanctuary to former Taliban fighters who should face
justice in their home country.
***
The
Japanese Government plans to relax the requirements to be fulfilled by foreign
nationals seeking refugee status. The bill will incorporate a provision that
would permit foreigners to stay in the country as residents for a certain period
if they apply for refugee status within six months of their arrival. The bill
also requires that applicants enter
Japan
directly from the country where they expect to be persecuted and have no
criminal record. Current laws require refugee-status requests to be made within
60 days of arrival in
Japan
.
The law is set to be revised for the first time since
Japan
adopted a system for recognizing refugees in 1982.