In our section of the SIB, attorney Ari Sauer answers immigration law questions sent in by our readers. If you enjoy reading this section, we encourage you to visit Ari’s blog, The Immigration Answer Man, where he provides more answers to your immigration questions. You can also follow The Immigration Answer Man on Facebook and Twitter.

If you have a question on immigration matters, write [email protected]. We can’t answer every question, but if you ask a short question that can be answered concisely, we’ll consider it for publication. Remember, these questions are only intended to provide general information. You should consult with your own attorney before acting on information you see here.


QUESTION: I filed an I-485 with an application for employment authorization and advance parole based on my marriage with a U.S citizen. It has been five and half months, but I still haven’t received any updates other than my biometrics appointment. I have done three service requests but have received no response. What can I do? I need the advance parole to go back to my home country as my father is sick.

THE IMMIGRATION ANSWER MAN – ARI SAUER: It is not unusual right now for it to take 5 or 6 months for USCIS to issue the card that serves as a combination Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Advance Parole travel document. Sometimes it is taking a bit longer. This is especially true where USCIS has issued a Request for Evidence for the I-485 application or the applications for the EAD or Advance Parole. I encourage you to continue to make service requests with USCIS, or even to request assistance from your Congressman’s or Senator’s office (if you have an attorney representing you, ask them first before doing this). However, USCIS’s responses to these inquiries are usually not very helpful. These inquiries are most helpful where a case is taking a long time because it has “fallen between the cracks” and these inquiries can help to get the case back on track.

However, if your father is extremely sick, for example to the point where waiting for USCIS to issue the advance parole might result in him passing away before you are able to visit with him, you might be able to get USCIS to issue the advance parole document under their Expedited Request procedure. At a minimum, you would need a letter from his doctor to prove that he is that sick. The current procedure for asking for an Advance Parole to be issued under Expedited Request is to make an Infopass appointment with your local USCIS field office (if your local USCIS field office does not have any infopass appointments available in the time you need, you could try going to the USCIS office without an infopass appointment) and to file a new application for Advance Parole, and additional required proof, including proof of the emergency (you shouldn’t have to pay a filing fee where your I-131 application is based on a pending I-485 application, but sometimes new filing fees for the form are required to be paid). Otherwise, you will just need to wait a little bit longer. It should come soon.

  • Other situations where USCIS may consider expediting an application include:
  • Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situation, for example where the applicant is gravely ill;
  • Humanitarian reasons, for example, the outbreak of war in the applicant’s home country;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States, for example, an organization broadcasting in regional areas to promote democratic interests;
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

Please note, however, that USCIS will normally only grant an expedite request in more extreme situations. The procedure for requesting the expedited processing of other petitions and applications is often different than the procedure for requested expedited processing of an application for Advance Parole document explained above. Expedite Processing is not available for those petitions that can be filed with USCIS using Premium Processing.


QUESTION: I am from India. My father filed an I-130 immigrant petition for me under the F2B category in 2012. I did not know the immigration rules, and I got married in 2014. My father became a citizen in 2015. I only now found out about the immigration rule that I should not have gotten married until after my father became a citizen. Is there any chance for me to get a visa under the F3 category using the petition my father filed for me in 2012 when a visa becomes available in that category?


Back | Index | Next

Disclaimer: This newsletter is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk.

I Accept

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website and you agree to our Privacy Policy.