Immigration through a family member who is a US citizen or permanent resident is the most common way of gaining US residency.  Whether family members are in the US or abroad, Siskind Susser has decades of experience representing permanent residents and US citizens in applications for their spouses, fiancés, children, parents, and siblings to join them in the United States.  

The first question to address in a family-based immigration case is whether a qualifying family relationship exists. Qualifying relationships are grouped into two main categories – immediate relatives and other close family members.  Immediate relatives of US citizens are given special preferential treatment. First and foremost, they are allowed to immigrate in unlimited numbers. Immediate relatives of US citizens include: spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents. 

Other close family members of citizens and permanent residents are also allowed to immigrate, subject to annual numerical limitations.  The following are other relatives who are allowed to immigrate: Unmarried adult children of citizens; Spouses and unmarried children of permanent residents Married adult children of citizens; and Siblings of citizens.

US citizens may also file K-1 visa applications for their Fiancés. 

More information on family based sponsorship and fiancé visas can be found on the pages about specific process types.

Contact Us

For more information on how Siskind Susser can help with your Family Immigration related matter, call us at 800-343-4890 (U.S.) or 901-682-6455 (International).

Additional Services

Featured Articles

View All Articles
I Accept

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website and you agree to our Privacy Policy.