Posted on: August 31st, 1996
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on RedditShare on LinkedInPrint this page

The INS has issued a regulation removing Form I-151, Alien Registration Receipt Card, from the listing of forms recognized as evidence of registration as a lawful permanent resident alien. Persons holding these cards will need to apply for a replacement Green Card, now on Form I-551. The INS has issued warnings on the need to get a replacement green card for several years and actually extended the deadline for applying for a new green card on three occasions.

From a practical point of view, the new rule means that persons seeking to reenter the US with an I-151 card will not be considered to have proof of permanent residency. The INS officer will have the discretion, however, to admit the person and have the person fill out an application form at that time for a new green card. The INS has also said that until further notice, it will not fine carriers bringing such persons to the US under rules that forbid transporting persons to the US who do not have lawful documentation for entering.

< Back | Index | Next >

Disclaimer: This newsletter is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information provided in this article has not been updated since its original posting and you should not rely on it until you consult counsel to determine if the content is still valid. We keep older articles online because it helps in the understanding of the development of immigration law.